Unification Theological Seminary seeks a part-time library technician for the Seminary Library located at its NYC Campus in Manhattan, West 43rd.
- Position Reports To: Library Director
- Location: 4 West 43rd Street, New York, NY 10036
- Starts On: August 11, 2014
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
No phone calls please.
UTS is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Purpose: Under the direction of the Library Director and using independent judgment, to support the successful operation of the library by providing library services to the public and by supervising assigned staff, facilities, projects and processes.
Qualifications: Knowledge of library science techniques and practices. Knowledge of advanced library systems, resources and equipment including applicable computer based and automated systems. Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal skills. Ability to analyze and solve problems relating to library methods, policies and procedures. Ability to understand and operate across more than one area of library activities. Some supervisory ability.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in an academic or special library setting. Considerable computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office. Ability to promote library services.
- General Experience: Two (2) years' supportive experience in library work including acquisition, cataloging, circulation, interlibrary loans and reference.
- Special Experience: One (1) year of experience in a Special or Seminary Library.
- Supervise and participate in providing library services to the students, faculty and staff of the Seminary Library.
- Processes new materials being added to the collection and discarded materials being removed from the collection.
- Establishes library-level standards for processing materials in consultation with the Library Director.
- While staffing the public service desks, respond to the public’s informational and research needs using a variety of sources, formats and equipment, and determining the services, collections and areas of the library that will fulfill those needs.
- Review and resolve complaints and complex problems.
- Perform materials circulation functions including checkout, checkin, and renewal.
- Search for and collect requested materials, process materials on hold, notify patrons and monitor and maintain reserved materials shelves.
- Collect fines and other money, maintain patron financial records and issue receipts for lost and damaged materials.
- Effectively respond to telephone and in-person inquiries.
- Communicate information to patrons about registration procedures, distribute and evaluate card applications, issue library cards and assign statistical codes.
- Provide instruction to patrons by explaining and demonstrating the proper use of equipment, library automation system and online resources.
- Operate and maintain a variety of library and office equipment.
- Make recommendations on library materials selection.
- Assists the Library Director with acquisitions through logging invoices and purchase orders.
- Performs retroactive copy cataloging of library materials as part of a long-term migration project.
- Checks material donations against current library holdings.
- Logs current and past journal issues into database of holdings.
- Other Library related responsibilities as designated by the Library Director.
2. Organize and direct the activities of assigned workstudy staff.
- Assist in the selection of workstudy staff.
- Train workstudy staff.
- Schedule and direct the work activities of assigned workstudy staff.
- Direct personnel issues to Library Director.
- Provide performance evaluations of assigned workstudy staff to Library Director.
- Supervise projects and processes.
- Plan, prepare, promote, implement and evaluate programs and projects.
3. Supervise scheduling operations and maintenance of various computer files, functions and processes.
- Evaluate existing procedures and suggest creative change as needed.
- Maintain necessary records, prepare reports and monitor assigned budget.
4. Assist with administration of library web site.
- Working with and pending approval of Library Director, plan, design, create, organize, update and maintain web pages.
- Identify and troubleshoot customer access problems.