13. Shipping Books and other Items Overseas

A very inexpensive way to send large quantities of books overseas is to use the U.S. Postal Service's M-bags (large, canvas duffel bags) for "bound, printed matter." For more information, visit the Postal Service's website at: http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub51/pub51.html and scroll down to "M-Bags." The rates are sometimes about half the usual parcel post rate. Each bag needs to weigh at least 11 pounds and no more than 66 pounds with all boxes addressed to the same recipient. Books are packaged by the sender in small boxes, with the destination address clearly written inside and outside each package. Take the boxes to any major post office and ask for an "M-Bag". Your boxes of books are then placed in the huge canvas sack (a.k.a. the "M-Bag"), the bag is closed and addressed to your destination, and the postage is affixed to the bag tag. The bag can be shipped via air or boat (economy), and the books should go from the point of mailing to the destination post office without even being taken out of the bag. This tends to increase the likelihood of their safe and intact arrival. Even if one of the packages breaks open in handling, the contents stay in the M-bag.


If you choose not to use the U.S. Postal Service's M-Bags, or if you are shipping items other than books, you may want to use the services of the following companies to ship large items overseas. Call or write to them for information:

International Sea and Air Shipping Corp.
8 Connerty Court
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
(732) 390-0322

American Baggage Inc.
236 Pleasant St., Methuen, Ma. 01844
(800) 752-6773 (USA and Canada) or (978) 975-0142
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

ABACO International Shippers, Inc.
4201 West Wrightwood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60639
(312) 342-7100
(800) 621-4504

Lynch International
34-37 65th St., P.O. Box 1112
Woodside, NY 11377
(718) 672-8900

Federal Express International
(800) 463-3339

United Parcel Service
(800) 742-5877

International applicants who seek en­trance to the U.S. with a student (F‑1) visa must certify their capacity to meet the cost of tuition and fees, living expenses, as well as the cost of round-trip travel. The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations governing F‑1 student status do not permit UTS to send the I‑20 form to the admitted student until this financial certifi­cation is on file with the Seminary.

We hope that this section will be helpful in answering your questions about Admissions and all other pertinent information about UTS and studying abroad.