- Published on Friday, 19 June 2015 15:26 19 June 2015
Unificationist pastors as well as curious laymen can now learn how to handle tough questions about their faith, i.e. apologetics, from experts at the Unification Theological Seminary, but the registration deadline is Sunday. The course is about the art of supporting something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people, respecting their perspective, learning from it, and answering in their language.
“How will you respond when the questions come? Will you sound defensive, jumbled, and incoherent, or calm, clear and open? How you respond can open the doors to deep conversations and illuminating new understandings for everyone involved. You can be prepared to answer them and share your life and faith with others.
“The Unification Theological Seminary’s next course on Unification Apologetics will help prepare you for these future conversations. Dr. Tyler Hendricks has prepared a 5 week course which is designed to help you speak to and defend your faith.
“This course is perfect for pastors, youth leaders, students, tribal messiahs, and anyone who wants to understand how to more clearly speak to their faith, traditions, and founders.
Hendricks, who has 40 years of experience talking to folks with tough questions about the Bible and theology, will be offering two classes: the first will begin on Tuesday, June 23, 2015. The second will begin Thursday, June 25, 2015.
Apologetics is the fifth in a series of six webinars that comprise a Certificate in Unification Ministry and Leadership, according to Dr. Kathy Winings, Vice President for Academic Affairs at UTS. The certificate courses began last fall as a cooperative venture between the LeadwithImpact ministry of Family Federation and UTS. The webinars span a five-week period and include two time slots for the same course each week, according to Hendricks, who has taught three of the webinars. Courses in the Certificate series offered up to now for Unificationist pastors focused on Spiritual Formation, Ministry and Leadership, Preaching, and the Life and Legacy of True Parents. Jaga Gavin and Demian Dunkley are the ministry professionals at Family Federation’s headquarters who are teaming with Winings to devise professional development courses taught by UTS faculty. The courses were chosen based on surveys last year of Unificationist pastors who identified their most needed skills.
Course Contents of Unification Apologetics
- Understand & appreciate the arguments and positions of those who don’t agree with Unification faith.
- Improve your ability to explain your faith and respond to questions and arguments
- Learn to create your own apologetic points
- Gain confidence in your ability to share and illustrate your beliefs to others.
- Handle the tough questions more effectively
- Learn Divine Principle perspectives essential to apologetics
- Learn science and common sense-based apologetics
- Learn Biblical based apologetics
- Learn morality based apologetics
- Tuesday classes are from 8:00pm-10:00pm ET
- Thursday classes are from 3:00pm-5:00pm ET
- Registration deadline is Sunday June 21, 2015
- The course syllabus will be sent to you in the welcome package.